Thursday, April 4

To: Grandpa H2os


Grandpa, this is the most perfect picture of you. Ever. It explains more than words who you were and how you lived your life. I couldn't find the picture of me and you that I also love. It must be on Mom's computer and she's down with everyone in Oregon. But the image is forever in my heart. You have the biggest smile and just the hint of a twinkle in your eye. That twinkle is what I'll remember about you the most. In the last few years it's grown just a bit dimmer - you must have just been missing Grandma more and more. I find comfort in knowing that you're reunited with her again. You two made quite the dashing pair.


But that twinkle was ALWAYS there. Just a hint of mischievousness that we all must get from you. And its what everyone loved most about you. Out of the many great memories I have of you, here are a few of my favorite:

- Your garden. Oh that garden could make even a pioneer proud. I still only like eating green beans fresh off the vine because of it. 
- Making homemade - fresh raspberries from the garden - ice cream with the ice cream maker  you actually had to keep turning the handle on to make.
- Your stories about being in the war. You truly are a veteran hero. 

Photo: Grandpa Warren Waters

- The way you treated Grandma. It was a great reminder of the kind of respect a woman deserves.
- Your jokes. They still give Kenny a run for his money.
- That one time I went camping with you and Grandma to Mt. Rainier and on the road trip there you asked me to guess how long a mile was. I must have guessed 10 times wrong and thought you were magic when you knew EXACTLY when a mile was over. I vowed to be that cool one day. And when I play that game with my kids, I'll make sure to look at the odometer too so they think I'm magic as well. At least, I think that's how you did it. Maybe you really were magic. It wouldn't surprise me.
- How you could ALWAYS find a quarter in my ear. 
- Your love of playing horseshoes. I'm sure you could still give someone a run for their money up in heaven.
- The smell of your wood shop. I remember how I loved to go in there and just watch you work. And how you would selflessly make anyone anything that they wanted. Thanks again for my desk. And guinea pig cage. And piano bench. And...well everything.
- Your old motorcycle and rides to the lake to practice skipping rocks.
- The headphones you would always use to watch TV. It always felt like a privilege to sit in your chair and watch classic, old TV shows.
- The time after Grandma passed when Mom called you to ask what you did that day and you replied, "Oh I just puttered around. I installed a door in the side of the garage." Only you could think "puttering around" was completing a huge project.
- Mom finding half a box of yellow cake and listening to you explain that you just wanted a little bit of cake, so you only made half of it. I think I'll make some yellow cake and chocolate frosting in memory of you tonight.

Grandpa, until we meet again just know that we all love you and will miss you terribly. Say hi to Grandma for us.You two really are the best.

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment