Tuesday, June 17

Apres Un Reve

Remember that time I was in French class? Well, for the final one of the girls in my class sang this amazing French opera song. It blew my mind. I've found multiple versions of in on YouTube but none of them compare. Hopefully one day I'll find a version that does it justice, but until then this one will have to do. I've also included the lyrics, because I think they are just as beautiful as the melody.


Apres un Reve:

(Please excuse any typos).

French:

Dans un sommeil que charmait ton image
Je revais le gonheur, ardent mirage,
Tes yeux etaient plus doux, ta voix pure et sonore,
Tu rayonnais comme un ciel eclaire par l'avrore;
Tu m'applelais et je quittais la terre
Pour m'enfuir avec toi vers la lumiere,
Les cieux pour nous entriouvnaient leurs nues,
Splendeurs inconnves, lueurs diveins entrevues,
Helas! Helas! Triste reveil des songes
Je t'applle, O nuit, rends moi tes mensonges,
Reviens, reveins radieuse,
Reviens O nuit mysterieuse!

English:

In a slumber which held your image spellbound
I dreamt of happiness, passionate mirage,
Your eyes were softer, your voice pure and sonorous,
You shone like a sky lit up by the dawn;
You called me and I left the earth
To run away with you towards the light,
The skies opened their clouds for us,
Unknown splendours, divine flashes glimpsed,
Alas! Alas! Sad awakening from dreams
I call you, O night, give me back your lies,
Return, return radiant,
Return, O mysterious night.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment